Friday 22 March 2013

blur

to obscure by making confused in form or outline; make indistinct.
to dim the perception or susceptibility of; make dull or insensible.
"The blow on the head blurred his senses."
I've noticed that so often I make a decision to keep a blurred image and dispose of the focused version. I've got tendencies toward blur. I like the way the image becomes less a portrayal of a thing or a person, but of shapes and in some cases just a smear of colour. Looking back they seem to evoke a feeling. A hazy memory and I'm surprised to find that I recognise the green splodge and can remember what it was and where it was captured. Those that are much more apparent, the blur is only gentle, its evident what it is, I like because they make the reality a little foggy. There is still no definition which leaves the photograph quite vague, expressions are softened and again has a memory quality to it.

I like the quote the dictionary spat at me explaining 'blur'. I feel my senses have been blurred recently. I'm living in a bit of a sleep-deprived haze, wondering aimlessly around from one thing to the next. Liam has got a new job as a Police Community Support Officer, which is brilliant, except the training. It's nine weeks and during that time he is only home for weekends. This has been the first week and it's been hard. Really hard. I've been quite unwell for a few weeks and I think that I've dreaded Liam leaving, which has made me worse. So I have been recovering but doing so with broken sleep is difficult. Queenie has been so unsettled this week. I put it down to the rhythm of life being shuffled around a bit without Liam but then high temperatures led me to visit the doctor, where we were told we both have ear infections. Poor Queens, I feel rotten for not picking up on it before.
Liam is home now for the weekend and we will spend it staying in bed late, making pancakes, drinking tea, generally enjoying each others company and taking things slow. I've got piles of clean clothes to sort and tidy away then a few meals to cook and freeze for the next week. I'm feeling inspired by all this colour and would like to sneak away and have a little time to paint, but who knows. How about you, what are your plans for the weekend?

Photographs 8 and 9 are taken from India's birthday dinner in february. I love the glistening candles and blue vibes.

1 comment: